Saturday, March 9, 2013

(page 26-03) Seat backs and interior paint........                                             

I wish everything went as smoothly as this section.  The only distasteful part was match drilling the piano hinges, but even this was OK.  The piano hinges allow for some limited adjustment of the seat back angles.  The seating position in the -12 is much more upright than I would choose, the ideal being something similar to the La-Z-Boy I currently occupy.  Cars, airplanes, or chairs, I like to recline.

After hanging the pedals I realized I should have painted everything down there prior to the hanging (which I will under no circumstances undo).  I had primed most of it with NAPA 7220, but no top coat.  I'd like to use a medium gray for all the visible bits of aluminum in the interior, but have been unable to find this in a rattle can.  My current plan is to top coat the 7220 with clear enamel, which is what I did for the seat backs.

The orange stuff seen in the piano hinges at the top is .090-inch string from a string trimmer, placed there to prevent paint from getting into the hinges.  Oddly, it wouldn't fit into the other hinges even though the rod extracted from the hinges measures the same for all hinges (.088 inch).  I must investigate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment