Sunday, March 10, 2013

(page 27-04) Brake line fittings.........                                     

Getting the brass inserts fully inserted into the brake lines is proving to be a bit of a problem.  As instructed, I put the fittings into a pan of boiling water, then tried to press the inserts in, with results as shown.  They're about 1/16th inch away from being flush on each fitting.  I tried repeatedly, same outcome.  I'll next try adding salt to the water in an attempt to raise the boiling temperature, but my calculations show I'll get a max temperature rise of about 2 degrees C, probably not enough to matter.  We'll see.   
                                                                                
Update (4-12-13)         
 
The fuselage kit comes with two 15-foot pieces of plastic brake line.  From these, two pieces a bit under eight feet must be cut, along with various other shorter lengths.  I cut several of the shorter lengths first, and ended up unable to make the two long pieces.  One long piece must be cut from each 15-foot length.
 
Van's supplies interchangeably two slightly different kinds of tube.  One has a yellowish hue and a different 10-digit number at the end of the designation.  They're both Parker Parflex with the same dimensions.  The one with an ending number of 006125903 was much easier to get the inserts into (see above).  When I reordered the line, I tried unsuccessfully to specify that one.  The lady at the desk showed only one part number.  I'm hoping for the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment