Thursday, July 4, 2013

(page 23-06) Return of the porcupine

                                    
This can mean only one thing: My favorite tool, the pneumatic rivet puller, is about to see heavy use.  The skins have to be clecoed in place, including the stiffeners from the landing gear service bulletin, and hundreds of holes must be match drilled through the skins (easy) and through the longerons (pita).
The goodness (or lack thereof) of the longeron bends now becomes obvious.  I had worried about this, but I see now that the longerons can be easily tweaked to fit as the match drilling progresses.

Once the drilling is done, everything has to be taken apart, deburred and mating surfaces must be primed.  I'm still conflicted about priming
and painting the visible interior surfaces.  I can't find the dark grey enamel color I want, and since I'm going with a full interior much of it will be hidden anyway.  The color choice with rattle cans seems to be quite limited.                

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that there are people who appreciate the pneumatic rivet puller. My brother would be very happy to know that! Anyway, we are building our RV-12 and we are in the process of bending the longerons. May I know what method did you use? Some say that the Orndorff method works like a charm.

    Best,
    Jeanette@ZoAir.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette,

      Good to hear from you. I'm assuming you read my posts regarding the longerons (Jan 12 and Jan 27). As an update to those, I posted that if I had it to do over again, I'd use the Orndorff method. Bending the longerons was the least fun part of the build. Any little errors show up when you hang the side skins (which I am currently doing).

      Contact me any time if you have questions.

      Jerre

      Delete