Wednesday, July 24, 2013

(page 24-05) Less like a boat, more like an airplane

I had been looking forward to attaching the rollover assembly primarily so it would start looking more like an airplane, and with the addition of the rear bulkhead the effect was even more pronounced.  The look really
got me fired up.  The machined aluminum pieces which bolt to the lower fuselage and are supposed to slide into the rollover structure didn't fit and required a bit of work on the belt sander followed by the ScotchBrite wheel.  The rule of thumb on this kit is supposed to be "if it doesn't fit, you did something wrong."  Not here.  Considering how the roll bar is constructed, I was not particularly surprised.  I probably had to take ten thou off the width of the machined pieces.  Fits great now.

The only other anomaly encountered was the channels which get riveted to the bulkheads.  The build manual shows three snap bushings being inserted into the channels, but my channels had only two holes.  I contacted the Mother Ship and was told to break out the step drill and make a new hole.  This would have been easy had I not already riveted everything together, as called for in the build manual.  Once again, the Tight Fit Drill Kit to the rescue.  I was able to drill a quarter-inch hole and then expand it to the proper diameter with a cutter (attached to the Tight Fit).  All is well.

The build manual calls for attachment of the tail cone soon, but, as many builders do, I'm postponing it.  With the tail cone attached, the thing becomes quite unwieldy. I'll continue with the upper fuselage construction, followed by the wings.  I can't imagine where I'll put them when they're done.  Space is a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment