Wednesday, July 17, 2013

(page 23-08) Piano hinge cowling attachment

Anything involving match drilling piano hinges (anti-servo tabs, seat backs, cowling attachment) usually gives me heartburn in one way or another.  These two were no different.  The match drilling is done using the holes
in the side skins as a guide.  The holes go through existing holes in the side skin and stainless steel fire wall tabs, and the new holes go in the piano hinges and an aluminum spacer.  The problem is that once the clecos holding the fire wall tabs to the skins are removed, those two parts are no longer aligned fore and aft, making the match drilling impossible.  To overcome this, I left as many clecos in as were required for alignment during the drilling.  The protruding nubs of the clecos made it impossible for the piano hinge plus spacer to lie flat against the curve, but, starting at the uppermost hole, I removed the minimum number or clecos which would allow me to clamp (see the clamp at the bottom) the hinge plus spacer flat against the curve.  I then drilled and clecoed that hole and moved down to the next hole, repeating the process.  It worked reasonably well, still producing minor heartburn.  The major heartburn came when I managed to drill an unwanted #30 hole in the side skin near the (wanted) bottom-most hole.  The two are very close together.  My first thought was to put a rivet in it, but that would look a bit strange.  Alternatively, I could fill it with epoxy and it would be invisible when the airplane is painted.  I had to invent several new curse words when I discovered what I had done.  None that I knew seemed adequate.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Frndz....
    Nice Blog...
    Thanks for your blog. I just landed up in your blog and I really appreciate your blog. It is full of resourceful information.

    Continuous hinge

    ReplyDelete