Saturday, November 10, 2012

(page 21-16) Thank you Dave Gamble............            

I had fired up the compressor for my favorite tool (the pneumatic rivet puller), positioned the bucket of LP4-3 rivets, summoned my courage since I was about to permanently seal away and make inaccessible most of the stuff between the belly skin and the floor, and almost started the process of installing several hundred rivets, when I decided to check Schmetterling Aviation.  I had watched the Homebuilt Help video, and everything looked straight forward.  Nothing raised a red flag.  Then I saw this from Dave Gamble's May 31, 2010 post.

h
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Skip ahead to page 28-06. DO STEP 1 BEFORE PUTTING ON THE BELLY SKIN!!

Fortunately, at this point the belly skin was clecoed rather than riveted in place.  Page 28-06 calls for the installation of the blue fuel line fitting (shown in the picture).  The fitting has a 45-degree bend and the plane of the bend must be oriented at a 33 degree angle to the vertical.  A nut has to be screwed onto the opposite side of the bulkhead, requiring a wrench on both sides.  It was a PITA with the belly skin peeled back as shown, and I imagine it was considerably worse with the belly skin riveted in place.  The fitting would have to be reached from the top (it's upside down as shown) and the still-open region above the center channel.  I'm not sure my arm would have been long enough.  The build manual should be changed to reflect this.

Of course the real source of all the heartburn associated with this section is the impending "fix" for the landing gear problem.  Everyone is fairly certain that a couple of doublers will have to be riveted in place immediately aft of and below the wing spar.  I'll feel better when it's announced.  Although I feel that I have become world class at drilling out rivets, I'd prefer to never have to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment