Saturday, November 24, 2012

(Page 21-17) (ah $#!t)^2                                            

The installation of the step attach angles and the steps themselves seemed easy enough.  Clecoing and match drilling, the usual stuff.  I quickly realized, however, that I'd made a major mistake: two of the step attach ribs had been reversed left to right.  The angles which provide the strength for supporting the boarding steps wouldn't fit the way I'd done it.  All the rivets attaching the ribs to the bulkhead and bottom skin would have to be drilled out.  Looking back at the build manual, the orientation of the angles is quite clear.  Don't know how I missed it.  The fix, at first, seemed impossible owing to space limitations.  Enter the tight-fit right-angle drill kit (see the next post for a picture).  I literally lost sleep trying to think of a way to overcome this.  As usual, once I acquired the correct tool, it was easy.  The tight-fit kit from Aircraft Spruce uses threaded bits and will fit into a space of about 1-1/2 inches.  Only cost ~$50.

BTW, step 21-18 should be done before step 21-7.  I could not have installed two of the nut plates in 21-18 had I followed the build manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment