Sunday, May 13, 2012


(page 10-02) Tail cone soon....                                         

The saw horses are constructed and the skins for the tail cone are identified. The first uncertainty arose when the instructions said "..break the edges.." on the appropriate pieces. The word probably shoud be brake rather than break, but that's beside the point. On the large skins for the tail cone, the edges which go on the outside in the lap joints need a two or three degree bend to ensure that the edges lie flat after riveting. I discovered copious discussion of this topic on the forums, with no clear consensus on how this should be accomplished.
 After considering and rejecting several methods championed by various builders, I discovered this at Cleveland tool and ordered it.  A few trial runs on scrap went well, so I'll try it on the actual skins.

Spring semester is over and grades are turned in, so I have a whole week free before summer school begins.  I hope to put in a lot of building hours.  Teaching first summer session will totally obliterate five weeks of my life, but I need the $$$ in order to persue hobbies such as airplane building and old Corvette restoration.  The DMV is once again threatening to revoke the registration for my antique if I don't get it inspected within the next month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment