Thursday, May 31, 2012

Side skins for the tailcone...                              

Once again I was completely convinced that the F-1280 skins wouldn't fit (wrong again). I hung them in the cutouts and started clecoing from the highest point down. It was clear that I couldn't eliminate the gap between the skins and the tabs on the bulkheads near the bottom already-riveted F-1281 skins. It wasn't even close. I removed all the clecos, started with the bottom row of clecos (lowest one on each bulkhead, then the next lowest, etc.). Amazingly, it all cinched up tight! I need to quit doubting the guys at Van's. These CNC-punched skins are incredible. 
 I would be nice if the instruction manual suggested that the builder start at the bottom and work his (or her) way up.  In some situations they do say where to start and which way to go with the rivets.  Not so with clecos.  It absolutely wouldn't work the first way I tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment