Sunday, May 27, 2012

Stabilator trial fit....                                

Supergluing the washers to the stabilator bearings turned out fairly well.  I cut the head off the same-size bolt, leaving a shaft length of about three washer thicknesses.  I could then put the washer over the bolt stub, dab on some superglue, insert the stub into the hole, then remove the bolt stub.  This centered the washer perfectly and allowed me to put uniform pressure on the washer while the glue set.  The bearing is on the back side of the bulkhead shown here.  The bulkhead moved through the correct range relative to the stabilator, hitting the stops properly.  I was surprised at the small angle through which the stabilator moves.  I'll pay attention next time I preflight the Cherokee and estimate the angular range through which the stabilator on that airplane moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment