Friday, April 6, 2012

(page 09-06) Let there be light.....                           


The stabilator skeleton is almost finished, and I'm surprised at how light it is.  As I opined earlier, the spar box (or is it box spar) is the most complicated, difficult-to-build thing so far (no doubt, I'll look back at this and laugh as I get further into the build) .  Lots of squeezed, counter sunk rivets.  The plans have to be studied fairly carefully in order to determine the correct locations of various things.  Most of the pulled rivets had to be done by hand, as the snout of the pneumatic puller (my favorite tool) was too bulky to fit.  By the time I'm finished, my forearms will resemble Popeye's (now where's my spinach!).  Unless you're of a certain age, you won't get that reference.

I did manage to kill my first part -- one half of the piano hinge for the stabilator anti-servo tab.  It only cost $5.00 to re-order, but may hold me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment