Friday, January 20, 2012

(page 6-07)  Tail is good......                                         
Finally, a part that even the casual observer would identify as something belonging on an airplane.  I was a bit apprehensive about getting all the rivet holes to line up, considering how many there are, but with a little coaxing, all the clecos went in.  To accomplish this, I used an awl and several small drifts (which start out smaller than a #30 drill bit, then increase in diameter).  If I could see any part of the hole in the rib through the hole in the skin, I'd insert the awl (or drift), thus bringing the holes in alignment.  Using this method, I could start at the trailing edge of the rib which was already riveted to the the rear stab spar) and work my way forward.

 Blue plastic hell.........

The worst part, however, is removing the protective plastic from the parts.  Small parts aren't so bad, but large expanses of aluminum are a pain.

Alas, I've made the decision to romove all the clecos and skin from the skeleton.  The instructions say to do so if any bulges show in the skin near the leading edge of the ribs.  I can see small distortions of the skin, in two places.  Wouldn't affect the flying qualities, but off it comes for some adjustment of the ribs.  This will also facilitate additional priming of the aft side of the rear stab spar, which I had intended to do, but forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment