Sunday, March 9, 2014

(page 15-06) Space crises postponed

By hoisting the left wing spar with all ribs attached up near the rafters I temporarily put off running out of build space and am proceeding with the right wing.  Almost all of the rivets attaching the ribs to the spar can be pulled with the pneumatic puller, which makes things proceed quite rapidly.  The closely spaced ribs near
the inboard end require the hand squeezer because of the lack of space between ribs.

I discovered that once the ribs are attached to the spar any curvature due to inadequate fluting is easily corrected, verifying my earlier decision to not be overly anal about absolute flatness in the fluting stage.

In their current configuration, the spar-rib structure is quite flimsy and I'm looking forward to attaching the skins.  Once skinned, I'm thinking I can continue to store the wings as they are now -- one on the work table and one suspended from the rafters.  The suspended wing will be turned upside down to allow use of the tie-down ring.  As noted earlier, there's a tapped hole on top but this would require drilling a hole in the skin to expose it.  As a full-fledged aero-nerd I could never bring myself to drill the hole in the top skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment