Tuesday, March 4, 2014

(page 15-05) Mistake in the build manual

Page 15-02 step 9 shows one nutplate and one W00028 doubler plate installed on a nose rib, yet page 15-05 and 15-07 refer to the nose rib with three nutplates.  After puzzling over this a bit  and studying all the
revisions, I contacted the Mothership and they confirmed that there are no longer any nose ribs with three nutplates.  These pages refer to a previous configuration and are now in error.  I'm RV-12 builder 593 and I'm sure hundreds of builders have encountered this, yet no revision has been issued.  I don't understand it.  This explains why the Homebuilt Help video didn't match what I'm doing.  It referred to the earlier configuration.  Those guys at Homebuilt Help need to keep up a bit better as well, but considering how inexpensive their product is, I forgive them.

RIP my favorite tool, the pneumatic rivet puller which came with my Isham RV-12 tool kit.  I never knew who actually made it since Isham re-branded it.  It became necessary to refill the hydraulic reservoir frequently, so I ordered a replacement from the aviation division of Harbor Freight for a mere $40.  It works great.  Can't beat the price.

It's a bit tricky figuring out which ribs go where on the spar, but the actual installation is easy.  As seen in the picture, almost all the ribs for the left wing are installed.  Space is a major problem.  Don't know the solution unless I evict the car from the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment