Friday, September 14, 2012

(page 21-07) Unhinged............                

After successfully match drilling the aforementioned seat back hinges, I proceeded to rivet them to the floor.  Unfortunately, I skipped one step -- removing two "eyes" from each hinge -- which must be done (obviously) before riveting (red arrows in the picture).  I therefore had the pleasure of drilling out 28 rivets in order to correct my error.  The band saw quickly removed the unwanted eyes and the ScotchBrite wheel (my new BFF) quickly deburred everything.  On the bright side, they were pulled rivets, which are way easier to remove.  I'm becoming quite the expert at drilling out squeezed or pulled rivets.

I'm longing to build some parts that the average person would identify as airplane parts.  Wings maybe?  The problem is this: Until all these parts spread around my garage coalesce into a fuselage, I don't have room to build wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment