Monday, September 3, 2012

(page 21-03) Baggage compartment floor...........                          

...yet another near disaster averted.  After reasoning out which holes required which of three dimple dies earlier, I somehow convinced myself that the dimpling of holes should have been symmetric left to right (it's not) and was ready to drill out approximately 30 rivets to correct my non-existent error.  Feeling disgusted, I took a break and went for a 20-mile bike ride, during which the increased blood flow to my brain caused me to realize I had done everything correctly the first time.  This project can be stressful.

After attempting to align rivet holes drilled individually through several relatively thick parts, it's often difficult (or impossible) to insert the rivet.  For the skin-to-rib holes, a 1/8th-inch drift usually lines the holes up enough to rivet.  For thicker parts (shown in the picture) this frequently won't work.  A chuck removed from an old drill (containing a #30 bit here) works well to twist the bit through the recalcitrant hole by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment