Sunday, March 18, 2012

(page 09-02) A good opportunity.........                 

....for a mistake.  When attaching the spacers to the spar caps and in-spar ribs, it's not immediately obvious that the middle two spacers attach to the spar caps only and not to the in-spar ribs, as is done with the end spacers.  When I clecoed everything together, I did the middle two the same way I did the ends (wrong).  It made sense that each spacer would attach to both the cap and the rib.  The picture at left shows the correct arrangement.  Fortunately, the attachment was with clecos and not rivets.  I had to look ahead in the plans (always a good idea, anyway) to find drawings which made it clear(er).  I suppose the reason it is done this way will emerge as I continue with the stabilator.

I also discovered that the 100-degree counter-sink tools I have won't work for a hole which hasn't been final drilled for the 3/32 or 1/8th inch rivet.  The counter-sink tools which came with my kit from Isham have a #30 or #40-size nub on the ends which acts as a guide, ensuring a perfectly centered counter sink.  Many of the pre-punched holes in the parts are already the final size and the tools work perfectly.  Some, however, need to be final drilled, and therein lies the problem.  It's only a few bucks to order, but could have caused a delay.  I skipped the step for now (last time I did this, it bit me).

No comments:

Post a Comment