Sunday, February 19, 2012

My main squeeze.......                               

...from Cleveland Aircraft Tool.  I didn't buy this tool in the beginning, mainly because it's three times as expensive as the competition, I already had a squeezer, and another squeezer came as part if the RV-12 tool kit from Isham (the beautiful but ill-fated Tatco).  Had I only known what I know now, I would have been spared a lot of grief.  The narrow one-inch nose arbor fit right into the space where I couldn't previously squeeze the forgoten rivets, allowing me to correct that error and finish installing the vertical stab forward skin (OK, quit with the jokes, Beavis).  Not sure why the forward skin needed to be installed at this point, since it'll have to come back off to install the vertical stab on the tail cone.

Another issue arose with buying rivets from Aircraft Spruce.  I ordered the AN470AD-5-5 rivets to install in the oversized holes in the rudder spar, only to be sent -5-10 rivets, twice the needed length.  Anyone can make a mistake, I figured, so I re-ordered.  Same result.  I suppose they have a large bin of rivets which are mis-labeled.  I'll call on Monday and send'em back.  It's kind of disturbing, though, for this to happen with probably the best known aircraft supply store in the business.  If the rivets had been only 1/16th inch too long, I probably would have used them without checking.  I do always check the marks on the head to be sure the material is correct, but not the length.

No comments:

Post a Comment