Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dead in the water......                                                

Isham agreed to credit me for the defective Tatco squeezer, and I pulled the trigger on a Main Squeeze from Cleveland Tool ($$$).  I got a 3-inch arbor and the 1-inch narrow-nose arbor which should solve the earlier issue with the missed rivet in a tight place.  Meanwhile, I'm waiting on the oversize rivets for the hogged-out holes (see earlier post) and the #21 bit for said rivets.  So, unable to progress through the build manual, I'm reduced to de-burring parts -- a small sample of which is shown at right.  With over 12000 rivets, each one of which goes through at least two holes, that's a lot of holes to de-burr.  Also, all edges on the alclad parts must be de-burred.  Sometimes it seems like I'll spend half the total build time de-burring parts.  Reading other blogs, it seems that other builders use the ScotchBrite wheel more than I do for de-burring edges of the alclad.  When I do this, it scuffs the alclad on both surfaces about a half inch back from the edges, meaning that scuffed area must be primed.  Using a small file (seen to the right of the large file in the picture), I can leave the alclad pristine.  Maybe I'm wasting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment