Monday, August 4, 2014

Pilgrimage to Mecca complete for 2014

It's hard to believe I just completed my 26th trip to Oshkosh.  It's still the high point of my year.  After all this time it's still a sensory overload, at once too much and not enough. Over 10,000 airplanes flew in and over 500,000 people attended.  As I've frequently said, Oshkosh is like sex in that the only way to get enough is to get too much.  After a week of showing up at the flight line at 6:00 am each morning and leaving at dusk I'm energized, inspired, and tired to the bone.  I did manage to get my fourth flight in an RV-12, this time in an S-LSA.  Of course it flew just like my three previous flights in
RV-12s registered as E-LSA.  This store-bought version has been adopted by several flight schools as a primary trainer, but I'm not at all sure it's well suited for that role.  It's too easy to fly.  Student pilots who learn to fly in an RV-12 will have no idea what those pedals on the floor are for.  Even rapid roll inputs leave the ball centered with absolutely no rudder input.  I've never seen anything like it.  The roll rate is astonishingly high (45 degree left to 45 degree right) for a non-aerobatic airplane.  I think it will be very difficult to resist the urge to do aileron rolls in this airplane (my history of resisting temptation is not good).

The picture shows a factory S-LSA with a Ford Trimotor and a Mustang (Bud Anderson's Old Crow, no less) in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment